Tady Etekiama gives AS Vita Champions League lifeline

Ben Ngita of TP Mazembe challenged by Onismor Bhasera of Supersport United Samuel Shivambu, BackpagePix

Tady Etekiama scored twice in the first half to set up AS Vita Club for their first victory of the CAF Champions League group phase, resurrecting slim hopes of progress to the knockout stage as they beat St George of Ethiopia 2-1 in Kinshasa on Tuesday.

Etekiama opened the scoring after just seven minutes, before adding a second from the penalty spot some 20 minutes later.

After losing their first three games in Group C, Vita looked on the verge of elimination, but now still have hope of keeping their campaign alive if they can get a result at home to Esperance of Tunisia and win away at Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa.

St George, who have never before got this far in Africa's top club competition, had not conceded a single goal in this year's competition before Etekiama's early effort. They are still in the equation on five points, and came back strongly in the second half as Salaheddine Said scored for a second successive game. He had netted the winner at the start of the month when St George upset Vita 1-0 in Addis Ababa.

The other game in the group will be played on Wednesday sees leaders Esperance hosting Mamelodi Sundowns at the Rades Stadium in Tunisia.

Wydad Casablanca registered their first ever victory over Al Ahly in seven attempts in Champions League action with a 2-0 triumph at home. Both goals came after a dreary first half and were netted by Fabrice Ondama and substitute Walid El-Karti, and have revived the Moroccan club's chances in Group D.

Ondama took advantage of mistake by centre-back Ahmed Hegazy, who failed to clear the ball in the air and allow the Congolese international Ondoma to ghost in from behind to volley home from close range.

A Mohamed Ounajem cross from the right was headed in by El-Karti at the far post for Wydad's second goal in the 78th minute, a half-hour after Ondama's strike.

In Group A, Al Merreikh of Sudan had to come from behind to beat Ferroviario Beira 2-1 as they registered their first victory of the group campaign.

Maninho had the Mozambican newcomers ahead after 16 minutes, but in the 31st minute Merreikh pulled level through Elsamani Saadeldin and Ahmed Abdallah conjoured up a second half winner.

There is another game in Khartoum on Wednesday in the same group as Al Hilal host leaders Etoile Sahel of Tunisia.

Horoya of Guinea edged closer to surprise progress in the CAF Confederation Cup as they won 1-0 at home to Gabon's CF Mounana with a goal nine minutes from time from Sekou Ahmed Camara, while the other Group D game saw SuperSport United of South Africa and holders TP Mazembe Englebert draw 0-0 in Pretoria.

Horoya now lead the group with eight points, two more than Mazembe and SuperSport, who will travel to Conakry next in 10 days' time in what is likely to be a decisive tie for both.

Victory for Club Africain of Tunisia over FUS Rabat and Rivers United at home to Kampala Capital City Authority in Port Harcourt means there is now a four-team tie at the top of Group A.

Club Africain scored four minutes into stoppage-time to complete a come from behind 2-1 win over FUS Rabat of Morocco. Imed Minyeoui snatched the winner after Ali Abdi had equalised a first half penalty tucked away by Mohamed Fouzair.

Rivers United were ahead in the opening minute when Bernard Ovoke converted a corner on a rain-soaked pitch, before Fredrick Obomate doubled the score inside the first 15 minutes. The Ugandans pulled one back in stoppage-time at the end of the first half though veteran Geoffrey Sserunkuma, but were unable to find an equaliser in the second half.

In Group D, Sudanese surprise-package Hilal Obayed top the standings from Angola's Recreativo Libolo after both won on Tuesday.

Hilal scored right at the end to beat Smouha of Egypt 2-1 after Ghanaian midfielder Nelson Ladzagla capitalised on poor defending at a corner-kick in the last minute of stoppage-time.

The home side led from the 72nd minute when Abo Baker Girfa scored following a blunder from keeper Mohamed Abo-Gabal, but Islam Mohareb managed to bring Smouha level with a powerful strike six minutes from time.

Two goals from Kaya and a late penalty from Brazilian defender Fabricio saw Recreativo jump back into contention. The 3-0 home win over Zesco United in Calulo pushed them level with Zambians on six points.

There was also a double from Hichemn Nekkache as Mouloudia Alger beat Mbabane Swallows of Swaziland 2-1 at home to go top of Group B.