Frappart becomes first woman to ref UEFA men's final

Referee Stephanie Frappart makes a call during the UEFA Super Cup match between Liverpool and Chelsea. Getty Images

Referee Stephanie Frappart became the first woman to officiate a major European men's final when she oversaw Liverpool's penalty shootout win over Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday night.

Frappart, who was the referee for the United States win over the Netherlands in this summer's Women's World Cup final, became the first woman to referee a French top-flight men's game when she oversaw Amiens against Strasbourg in April.

- Ogden: Super Cup first of many hurdles for Liverpool
- Chelsea flout transfer ban by unveiling 'Jorghino'

She has also been promoted to a full-time role for the French men's league this season and was given the Super Cup assignment in June. She said ahead of the match that she was "proud and honored" to gain that promotion and hoped she could inspire more young girls to take up refereeing.

Frappart oversaw an action-packed match that finished in a 2-2 draw after 120 minutes of regulation and extra time that saw Liverpool win the Super Cup when goalkeeper Adrian kept out the spot kick of Chelsea's Tammy Abraham on the last kick of the shootout.

For the Super Cup, Frappart was accompanied by assistants Manuela Nicolosi of France and Michelle O'Neal from Ireland, reuniting the team which officiated the Women's World Cup final.

Following the match, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: "I told the refereeing team after the game that if we would have played like they whistled, we would have won 6-0. That was my absolute opinion.

"Whatever you could have thought before the game, there was pressure on them like hell with an historic moment. Staying calm and do what you have to do, decide very important things in a very difficult and intense game -- I couldn't have more respect, to be honest. It was really a brilliant performance."

Information from the Associated Press was used in this story.