2018 International Champions Cup
  • Meritan Shabani (15')
  • Arjen Robben (24')
  • Bernardo Silva (45'+1', 70')
  • Lukas Nmecha (51')

Riyad Mahrez limps off in Manchester City's ICC win over Bayern Munich

MIAMI -- Manchester City fought back from two goals down to secure a 3-2 win in Pep Guardiola's first clash against former club Bayern Munich on Saturday in the International Champions Cup.

However, the City manager will be more concerned by the sight of club record signing Riyad Mahrez limping out of the action just eight days before the Community Shield clash with Chelsea at Wembley.

The Premier League champions were trailing to first-half goals from Meritan Shabani and Arjen Robben, but they pulled off an impressive comeback with a Bernardo Silva double either side of Lukas Nmecha's strike.

Mahrez hobbled off in the 26th minute, but the Algerian winger appeared to hurt his ankle in a challenge from United States defender Chris Richards in the fourth minute. He received treatment but went down again midway through the half without anyone near him, and then he was replaced by Silva.

Bayern were already 2-0 ahead by then. The opener came in the 15th minute, when they overloaded on the right wing, freeing up space for Rafinha to float in a cross that Shabani emphatically headed home.

Robben doubled their lead eight minutes later, when he raced onto Franck Ribery's clever chipped pass, and the winger clipped the ball over the onrushing Claudio Bravo.

He came close to a second with a fierce, low drive that Bravo stretched to keep out before City pulled a goal back in first-half injury time with a neat run and finish into the corner from Silva.

They were level five minutes after the break when Sven Ulreich weakly parried Phil Foden's curling effort straight into the path of Lukas Nmecha.

City took the lead in the 70th minute, with 17-year-old former Barcelona midfielder Adrian Bernabe claiming the assist for Silva's second as he beat Ulreich at his near post with a whipped low shot.