2016-17 English FA Cup, Round 5
  • Lucas Pérez (26')
  • Theo Walcott (55')

Theo Walcott scores 100th goal as Arsenal prevail in trip to Sutton

Arsenal came through their FA Cup adventure away to non-league Sutton United at tiny Gander Green Lane with a 2-0 win on Monday night.

Lucas Perez opened the scoring before Theo Walcott netted his 100th goal for Arsenal, who advanced to face another fifth-tier side in Lincoln City -- this time at the Emirates -- in the quarterfinals.

Arsenal controlled much of the early possession, though there were loud cheers from the Sutton fans every time the visitors put the ball out of play.

Sutton tried a few long balls, with goalkeeper Ross Worner taking free kicks from midfield, but the hosts did eventually grow into the game, even having penalty shouts waved away after Craig Eastmond went down in a tangle with Nacho Monreal.

But Arsenal found the breakthrough on 27 minutes when Perez was given plenty of room to gather the ball on the flank. He sent in a low cross that Theo Walcott stepped over before it found its way into the net at the far post.

With the crowd deflated, Arsenal quickly pressed the advantage, and Sutton survived a goalmouth scramble before Walcott fired just over the bar.

Sutton did recover to show signs of attack, though, first putting Rob Holding under pressure atop the Arsenal box before Jeff Reine-Adelaide was booked for hauling down Roarie Deacon.

But Arsenal countered from the free kick, and Alex Iwobi sent a deflected shot inches past the post.

Arsenal then had a scare before the break when goalkeeper David Ospina's giveaway had Sutton boss Paul Doswell on his feet, but Adam May could only put his shot into the side netting.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain replaced Mohamed Elneny to start the second half, and Arsenal doubled their advantage within the opening 10 minutes.

Nacho Monreal's deflected cross fell to Walcott, who scored his landmark goal on the half-volley from six yards out before a very subdued celebration.

Sutton then had a number of chances, Maxime Biamou putting a soft shot before coming inches away from heading on a fine Deacon cross.

The hosts then missed a big chance from the resulting corner when Ospina failed to reach the ball and Jamie Collins headed over from point-blank range.

In the 65th minute, former Arsenal youngster Deacon, impressive throughout the night, left Ospina stranded with a long shot that clanged hard off the crossbar.

But Arsene Wenger's side settled down to control the final 15 minutes as Alexis Sanchez and Ainsley Maitland-Niles came on for a quiet run out.

Sutton, however, were able to hold their heads high after a competitive performance, while a number of fans ran onto the pitch after the final whistle.