Union, Austin FC play to 2-2 draw as both remain winless


Mikael Uhre scores goal for Philadelphia Union

Mikael Uhre scores goal for Philadelphia Union

Mikael Uhre sent home the tying goal in the 65th minute to allow the visiting Philadelphia Union to split the points in a 2-2 draw with Austin FC on Saturday in the first regular-season meeting between the two sides.

Both teams remain winless this season and have produced six combined draws. Philadelphia outshot Austin 17-12 and had seven shots on goal to just two by the Verde.

The Union (0-0-3, 3 points) lit the scoreboard first as Daniel Gazdag converted from the spot in the 14th minute after Kai Wagner was fouled by Austin's Alex Ring.

Philadelphia pushed to add to its lead as Jack McGlynn's shot from the center of the box in the 26th minute was stopped by Austin goalkeeper Brad Stuver.

The Verde (0-1-3, 3 points) did not have a shot on goal in the first half. But Austin quickly produced the equalizer in the 56th minute when Hector Jimenez's crossing pass to the far post somehow eluded two Philadelphia defenders and found Diego Rubio, who used his head to direct the ball past Union keeper Andre Blake and into the center of the goal.

Verde-colored lightning struck again just two minutes later as Jon Gallagher, Austin's all-star representative last season, turned around an assist from Ring for a goal that gave the home side a 2-1 lead, the first time this season that Austin has led in a game.

The Union answered with the tying goal in the 65th minute when Uhre beat Stuver to the center of the net after a pass from Nathan Harriel.

Stuver turned away Philadelphia's Quinn Sullivan in the 67th minute and then Jose Martinez a minute later to keep the game on equal terms. Julian Carranza then tested the Austin keeper in the 69th minute and Sullivan had a shot on goal in the 85th minute but Stuver was up to the task each time.

Austin did get a late lift from the entry of captain Sebastian Driussi for the first time this season in the 71st minute but was forced to settle for its third consecutive draw after a season-opening home loss to Minnesota United.

--Field Level Media