Isak double in vain as Newcastle held by West Ham

West Ham United held Newcastle United to a 2-2 draw in the Premier League on Sunday after Mohammed Kudus scored an 89th-minute equaliser to deny the visitors three points after Alexander Isak's quick-fire double.

West Ham took an early lead when Emerson ran in behind the defence to receive a long ball and Newcastle goalkeeper Nick Pope strayed out of position, allowing the left back to find Tomas Soucek for a simple tap-in into an empty net.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

But Newcastle were better in the second half and after Dan Burn had a header saved by Alphonse Areola, Isak beat him following a set-piece when the ball fell at the feet of the Swedish striker near the six-yard box.

Newcastle turned the game around with a second in quick succession when Kieran Trippier found space and expertly crossed the ball with a first-time effort straight into the path of Isak, who finished from close range.

Mohammed Kudus' goal was his first in the Premier League and third in all competitions for West Ham.

Isak nearly completed his hat-trick when he went through on goal and rounded the keeper, but his shot from a tight angle came off the post before it was turned away for a corner by Nayef Aguerd who was scrambling back to cover.

David Moyes threw on Kudus for Soucek and with time running out, the Ghana midfielder delivered when he got on the end of Vladimír Coufal's pass and fired in a low shot from the edge of the box.

West Ham retain their grip on seventh place while Newcastle are eighth, a point behind.

"A frustrating game for us," Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said. "

Probably a hangover from midweek [when Newcastle beat Paris St Germain in the Champions League]. A really good response in the second half, but we're frustrated not to get over the line.

"I think we did really well in the second half, showed great character to come back. We took control of the game, caused problems, created chances."

West Ham goalscorer Soucek said: "We didn't start the second half well and after that we conceded from a set piece.

"We were then disappointed that we conceded a second, but happy that we got a draw because it was important not to lose the game."