Luton off the mark with draw against 10-man Wolves

Bottom side Luton Town claimed their first Premier League point when they held 10-man Wolves to a nervy 1-1 draw at a rocking Kenilworth Road on Saturday.

Wolves had Jean-Ricner Bellegarde sent off late in the first half but they opened the scoring through Pedro Neto after the break before Carlton Morris equalised from the penalty spot.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

Luton's last point in the top flight came in April 1992, just weeks before the Premier League was formed.

"It's a bittersweet one," Morris said. "It's taken us time to acclimatise to the Premier League. I think that was our best performance, we deserved more from the game.

"Sometimes things don't just fall for us. That's the way the cookie is crumbling at the minute. It's brilliant, the fans keep us going."

Egged on by the home support, Rob Edwards's side started on the front foot, with Morris curling an early effort from outside the box which agonisingly came back off the woodwork.

The crowd then lifted the roof off when Bellegarde was dismissed in the 39th minute after the French midfielder kicked out at Luton skipper Tom Lockyer in frustration when they became entangled while challenging for the ball.

"We've had a little bit of a tackle and our legs get caught up together," Lockyer said.

"We were tangled together and he's decided to kick me. I haven't made him kick me. That's on him and not me."

Wolves were rattled and they nearly conceded just before halftime when Craig Dawson's backpass was nowhere close to goalkeeper José Sá. But before Luton could pounce and tap into an open net, Max Kilman cleared the ball for a corner.

"It's a tough place to come and they put you under a lot of pressure. They're very good at what they do. Their ground is tight," Dawson said.

The visitors settled down at halftime and shocked Luton by taking the lead five minutes after the break when Neto ran into space, outmuscled his marker and scored past Thomas Kaminski.

However, Luton were handed a lifeline when João Gomes handled in the box and, after a VAR review, Morris stepped up and sent Sa the wrong way to equalise in the 65th.

Luton thought they might take all three points when in the 89th minute the ball bounced to Chiedozie Ogbene in the box but as the winger wheeled away in celebration after scoring, he stopped in his tracks when he saw the offside flag go up.

The drawleft Luton propping up the table after five games while Wolves moved up to 15th on four points having played six.