2022-23 Indian Super League, Regular Season
  • Matt Derbyshire (90'+2')
  • Cleiton Silva (11')
  • Charalambos Kyriakou (52')
  • Jordan O'Doherty (84')

ISL 2022-23: East Bengal brush aside NorthEast United 3-1

Cleiton Silva celebrates opening the scoring for East Bengal against NorthEast United. Pal Pillai/Focus Sports/ISL

East Bengal FC broke their winless run against NorthEast United FC in the Indian Super League (ISL) with a comfortable 3-1 victory at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati.

A first-half goal from Cleiton Silva (11'), and second-half strikes from Charis Kyriakou (53') and Jordan O'Doherty (84') ensured the three points for East Bengal, before Matt Doherty's consolation goal (90+2') opened NorthEast United's goal account for the season.

Stephen Constantine made four changes to the East Bengal lineup that lost 2-1 to FC Goa. In the opposite dugout, Marco Balbul, who had now served his one-match suspension, had made one change to the lineup since the 3-0 loss to Hyderabad FC by bringing Rochharzela into the starting XI.

It took a while for the two teams to find their rhythm with the game's first real chance coming in the 10th minute when Cleiton Silva smashed a volley from range at NorthEast United FC's goal, but Silva didn't have to wait long to get his goal. East Bengal FC took the lead a minute later after some diligent work from Mahesh Naorem Singh.

Mohamed Irshad got caught on the ball during the team's build-up, which gave Mahesh Noarem Singh an opportunity to pinch it from the full-back before laying it to the open Silva, who made no mistake with his finish. Silva played in a slightly deeper role just behind the forward, and found joy a couple of times in this freer role, taking a few uncosted long shots throughout the half.

NorthEast had most of the possession in the first-half but were struggling to create any real chances - East Bengal FC had a solid block in front of goal. Balbul decided to take some action early by making two changes in the 31st minute, bringing Emil Benny and Aaron Evans on for Romain Philippoteaux and Mohamed Irshad.

It looked like Marco Balbul's side were going to end the half without any shots on target but a speculative effort from Emil Benny in the 45th minute led to a rebound that Matt Derbyshire should have finished. That had been the best chance of the game at the point, but Derbyshire's effort didn't find the target, rattling the bar instead.

East Bengal started the second half with real zest. They went up 2-0 eight minutes into the second half thanks to some good work from VP Suhair on the right wing, who set up an onrushing Charis Kyriakou for a bending strike from the edge of the box.

Suhair had been causing the NorthEast defence problems prior to the goal, getting close to scoring twice himself. It looked like he'd set up Thongkhosiem Haokip four minutes later with a driven cross from the right, which Haokip backheeled past Arindam Bhattacharja, but he was ruled offside.

Stephen Constantine's side were fairly dominant in the early parts of the second half. To shake things up, Balbul looked to his bench. Imran Khan, who was subbed in for Gurjinder Kumar in the 63rd minute, had a decent volleyed effort a minute after coming on.

In the 84th minute a quick transition put the points in the bag for the team from Kolkata, with Mobashir Rahman setting up Jordan O'Doherty, who finished the chance with aplomb.

NorthEast finally opened their goal account for the season two minutes into second-half stoppage time. It was the combination of Benny and Derbyshire again, with the Englishman scoring a near-post header from an inch-perfect corner. It was too little, too late though.

East Bengal next face fierce rivals ATK Mohun Bagan in the Kolkata Derby next Saturday at the Salt Lake Stadium, while NorthEast United will travel to the JRD Tata Sports Complex, to play Jamshedpur FC the day after.