<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Rashford backed out of Barcelona talks before signing new Man United contract

play
Who is Manchester United's worst signing since Fergie left? (2:07)

ESPN FC's Mark Ogden discusses the worst three Man United signings since Sir Alex Ferguson left in 2013. (2:07)

The coronavirus pandemic has made the summer transfer window uncertain, but here are the rumours floating around Europe's big leagues and beyond.

TOP STORY: Rashford backed out of Barcelona talks

Mundo Deportivo claims that Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford got cold feet when negotiating with Barcelona last year.

Rashford's contract at Old Trafford was due to expire in 2020 and Barca sounded out his brother, Dwaine Maynard, who is also his agent, over a possible move to Camp Nou.

Barca hoped the England international would put pressure on United in the summer of 2019, when he moved into the final 12 months of his deal, but "doubts" about changing countries and the risk of not being a regular saw him change his mind.

In the end, buoyed by the arrival of coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Rashford penned a four-year deal worth £200,000-a-week that will keep him at United until at least 2023, with the option of a further year.

- ESPN+: Stream ESPN FC TV daily and 30 for 30: Soccer Stories
- Insider Notebook: United battle Liverpool for Werner

LIVE BLOG

22.36 BST: Atletico Madrid centre-back Stefan Savic has reportedly attracted interest from Juventus and Tottenham in recent weeks, and according to Mundo Deportivo, Monaco has joined the race to land the 30-year-old Croatia international who has two years left to run on his contract at the Wanda Metropolitano.

21.29 BST: Le10 Sport has reported for some time that Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is Paris Saint-Germain's priority midfield target this summer, but the publication has now added that should the Parisians miss out on the 25-year-old Serbia international, they could rival Real Madrid for 17-year-old Rennes prodigy Eduardo Camavinga.

20.22 BST: Juventus could move on from both Douglas Costa and Federico Bernardeschi this summer, leaving holes to be filled in wide areas, and Corriere dello Sport writes that pending free agent Pedro could fit the bill. The 33-year-old enjoyed a productive relationship with Bianconeri boss Maurizio Sarri in their single season together at Chelsea, but the Italian champions will have to overcome interest from Roma and fit the World Cup winner's hefty wages within their pay structure.

19.15 BST: As Barcelona continue their long, and very public, courtship of Lautaro Martinez, Inter have been planning for life without the 22-year-old Argentina attacker. According to Mundo Deportivo, the Nerazzurri have already moved on from mooted targets such as Edinson Cavani and Timo Werner and have instead focused their attentions on 29-year-old Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette.

18.08 BST: Arsenal are yet to offer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang a new contract, sources have told ESPN, as speculation intensifies over his long term future at the club.

Contrary to some media reports on Monday, there has been no extension on the table for Aubameyang to agree or reject.

Aubameyang's deal is set to expire in June 2021 and, as of Monday, the two parties have not even started concrete talks about an extension as ESPN reported a few weeks ago.

Chelsea are monitoring Aubameyang's situation, sources have told ESPN, as they look for a new centre-forward.

17.23: The agent of Chelsa winger Willian has slammed speculation that the Brazil international has spoken to Premier League rivals Arsenal and Spurs regarding a possible transfer, the Sun have reported.

Willian's contract at Stamford Bridge is set to expire at the end of the month, although Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has said he would like the winger to sign an extension until at least the end of the season.

Arsenal and Spurs are both reportedly interested in signing Willian for free, and the player's agent Kia Joorabchian has said: "Chelsea's policy, though, only allows two years, so that's where the block was.

"At the moment he is a Chelsea player; he has a contract with Chelsea until the season is over, so I think it is disrespectful to talk about moving to other clubs.

16.13 BST: Juventus manager Maurizio Sarri is eyeing up a reunion with Chelsea midfielder Jorginho, Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport have reported.

Juve are reportedly looking to include midfielder Federico Bernadeschi in a swap-deal for the Italy international.

Sarri has worked with Jorginho during previous spells at Napoli and Chelsea, and would like reunite with the midfielder once again.

15.38 BST: PSG striker Edison Cavani's contract is set to expire this summer, and Inter Milan reportedly eyeing him up as a replacement for Barcelona target Lauturo Martinez.

ESPN FC's Gab Marcotti weighs in on why the deal would not make sense.

14.53 BST: Manchester United are leading the race to sign Bayer Leverkusen forward Kai Havertz, according to the Sun.

The 21-year-old has impressed in the Bundesliga this season, scoring seven goals in his last six matches for his club.

The report claims that United would need to pay more than £50m to sign him. They believe Havertz and Dortmund's Jadon Sancho would be the perfect duo play up alongside Marcus Rashford

14.19 BST: Barcelona's Philippe Coutinho wants to return to the Premier League, according to his agent, but is unsure if a transfer will be possible this summer.

Kia Joorabchian has said the former Liverpool playmaker would also be willing to stay at Bayern Munich, where he has spent this season on loan.

"He has a desire to come back to the Premier League at some point," Joorabchian told Sky Sports. "It may not happen this year, it may happen this year -- we don't know. We really have not discussed anything for now."

Bayern can sign Coutinho permanently in the summer for €120 million but sources have told ESPN they will not take up that option. However, extending the loan or negotiating a cheaper price with Barcelona has not been completely ruled out.

13.57 BST: Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali has turned down a move to Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain, according to club president Massimo Cellino.

Tonali, 20, has attracted the attention of top European clubs but Cellino says his top asset is keen to remain in Serie A.

"[PSG president] Nasser [Al-Khelaifi] wants him in Paris, he even wrote to me today, but he [Tonali] doesn't want to go to France," Cellino told Corriere dello Sport.

"[Napoli president Aurelio] De Laurentiis has offered me €40m, Fiorentina is also ready to make a false move, but his destiny is quite sealed. Before COVID, Barcelona had arrived at €65m plus two very interesting players that are valued at €7.5m each, one was a full-back. I think the Catalan executives received a reply they didn't like. It was a no from Tonali.

"I'm not negotiating with anyone," he said. "There are still 12 games left to play and the lad must remain calm."

13.02 BST: Matt Macey is due to discuss his future with Arsenal in the coming weeks with his contract set to expire in 2021, sources have told ESPN.

The 25-year-old is Mikel Arteta's third-choice goalkeeper with Bernd Leno established as the number one and Emiliano Martinez deputising in domestic cup competitions.

It had been widely reported that Macey's existing agreement was due to expire this summer but ESPN understands he has a further year to run on his contract.

Macey's representatives plan to meet with the club's hierarchy to review his situation having made just two senior appearances since joining as a teenager from Bristol Rovers in October 2013.

After a loan spell at Accrington, he made his debut in a League Cup tie against Norwich in October 2017 and played in the Europa League clash against Red Star Belgrade the following week.

It remains to be seen whether Arteta views Macey as a part of his future plans. Arsenal last month agreed a new deal with promising young goalkeeper James Hillson.

12.22 BST: With clubs likely to opt for swap deals when the transfer window reopens due to the impact of the coronavirus, ESPN's Sid Lowe talks about how Barcelona need to improve on their methods from last season.

play
1:48

Marcotti: Cavani to Inter would be idiotic

Gab Marcotti thinks Edinson Cavani should stay at PSG and not accept a three-year deal at Inter Milan.

11.59 BST: DEAL DONE!

Manchester United have agreed an extension to Odion Ighalo's loan, the club announced on Monday. Ighalo's initial spell ended on Sunday but Shanghai Shenhua have agreed to allow the striker to stay at Old Trafford until January 2021.

Ighalo, who is also set to sign a contract extension with Shanghai, will now be available to finish the campaign when it restarts on June 17.

A statement from United read: "The Nigerian striker's stay was initially due to end on May 31 but he will now remain with the Reds until Jan. 31 2021, enabling him to build on an impressive start to life with the club he supported as a boy.

"Today's confirmation is a timely boost for United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, as he continues to prepare his squad for this month's resumption of competitive football."

11.26 BST: The clause allowing Lionel Messi to walk away from Barcelona for free this summer expired over the weekend, sources at the club confirmed to ESPN, meaning he will remain at Camp Nou for at least another 12 months.

Messi, 32, signed terms, which run until the end of the 2020-21 campaign, in 2017. At the time, a clause was included that he could leave for nothing in the summer of 2020 as long as he communicated his decision to Barca before June.

Multiple sources at Barca have told ESPN that the actual deadline was May 30, coinciding with the date when this season's Champions League final was supposed to take place in Istanbul. ESPN contacted Messi's camp for confirmation, too, but they said, as a rule, "we don't speak about contractual issues."

10.34 BST: Barcelona and Manchester City are entering the final stages of negotiations over a deal for right-back Nelson Semedo, according to Diario SPORT.

City's original idea was to use Joao Cancelo as a makeweight in any potential deal but Barca have no interest in the Portugal international.

Instead, the Spanish champions are insisting on €40m for Semedo, who joined the club for an initial fee of €30m in 2017 from Benfica.

Barca want the cash to help fund a move for Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez. Semedo had been offered to Inter as part of the Lautaro deal, but the defender would prefer to move to City, where he would play under Pep Guardiola, than Italy.

09.43 BST: Inter Milan are ready to spend the €58m received from the sale of Mauro Icardi to Paris Saint-Germain by signing Marash Kumbulla and Sandro Tonali this summer.

Inter announced on Sunday they had sold Icardi to PSG for an undisclosed fee. Sky Italia report that PSG paid €50m plus €8m in bonuses, €12m less than what the two clubs had agreed last summer.

Inter are now eager to move forward and sign Hellas Verona defender Kumbulla and Brescia midfielder Tonali. Both players are 20 and have impressed this season in Serie A. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter will have to up their bid to sign Tonali. Inter recently offered €35m plus €5m in add-ons for the Italian midfielder, whose contract with Brescia expires in June 2021. Brescia wants at least €50 million in cash for Tonali.

As for Kumbulla, Inter are ready to tempt Brescia with a cash-plus-players deal. The Nerazzurri could include 18-year-old pair Lorenzo Pirola and Sebastiano Esposito in the deal to sign the Albanian defender, who is tied to Brescia until June 2022.

09.00 BST: Bayern Munich will make Manchester City midfielder Leroy Sane and and Bayer Leverkusen forward Kai Havertz their No. 1 transfer targets to begin a "new era" at the club.

Sane was expected to move to Bayern last summer before he suffered a serious injury, and with the City player moving into the last year of his contract a deal seems likely. But Bayern honorary president and deputy chairman Uli Hoeness told Bayern 1 radio that a move for Havertz could be more difficult.

Hoeness said: "We would certainly like to have Kai Havertz but, at the moment, it is so that one does not know exactly what the economic future of all football is.

"I would like to see him in Munich from a sporting perspective, but as of today I honestly cannot imagine it, although I would like to see it."

PAPER ROUND: Arsenal front-runners to sign Milik

Arsenal may need to find solutions up front with reports that both Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lazacatte could look to move on in the summer.

Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik, like Aubameyang, is out of contract in the summer of 2021 and it seems unlikely he will stay in Naples.

La Repubblica in Italy reports that the Poland international is also interesting Juventus, and would be prepared to accept less than the €50 million asking price to keep him away from Turin and sell him to the Premier League.

PSG go after Bennacer

Ismael Bennacer has been receiving some interest from Paris Saint-Germain, Le10 Sport reports.

The 22-year-old midfielder is widely considered to be one of the top prospects in Serie A, with AC Milan reaping the rewards of his technical ability since he joined from Empoli last year.

Leonardo is ready and willing to make an offer of around €30 million to get the deal done, but Milan aren't likely to part with him that easily.

Celtic interested in Bravo

Celtic are interested in trying to sign Manchester City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo, The Times reports.

While he may not have always been viewed as a consistent name on the team sheet, Bravo has served as a loyal member of the first-team squad at the Etihad ever since he first joined in 2016.

While the summer transfer window may be uncertain, Bravo is certainly on the wish list for the Scottish champions ahead of a hectic few months.

Tap-ins

- The Daily Star claims that Manchester United are prepared to allow defender Chris Smalling to remain at Roma for the remainder of the season. The 30-year-old joined the Serie A club on a season-long loan in August and they are keen to keep him beyond the campaign despite the disruption caused by the coronavirus.

- Lille have received multiple offers for youngster Victor Osimhen, The Daily Mail reports. Gerard Lopez, the club's owner, claimed in an interview with the English paper that there are numerous offers on the table but that they would like close to the £72 million they received for Nicolas Pepe before they can agree to the sale.